When Azrael Came Knocking: A Tale of Divine Decree and Human Destiny

 Jalal al-Din Rumi, a famous Persian poet and Sufi mystic, narrated a story about a man who was afraid of death and ran away from it. He said:

"A man saw Azrael, the angel of death, looking at him with a stern face. He was terrified and ran to Solomon, the prophet of God, and begged him for help. Solomon asked him what he wanted. He said: ‘I want you to send me to India, for I saw Azrael looking at me as if he wanted to take my soul.’ Solomon said: ‘If that is what you wish, I will send you there.’ He ordered the wind to carry him to India. The man was happy and flew away with the wind. Then Solomon asked Azrael: ‘Why did you look at that man so harshly that he fled from you?’ Azrael said: ‘I did not look at him harshly, but I was surprised to see him here, for God has commanded me to take his soul in India.’"

قُل لَّن یُصِیبَنَاۤ إِلَّا مَا كَتَبَ ٱللَّهُ لَنَا هُوَ مَوۡلَىٰنَاۚ وَعَلَى ٱللَّهِ فَلۡیَتَوَكَّلِ ٱلۡمُؤۡمِنُونَ

Say, O dear Prophet “Nothing shall befall us except what Allah has destined for us; He is our Master; and the Muslims must rely only on Allah.”(Quran 9:51)

This verse teaches us that everything that happens to us is by the will and decree of Allah, and that we should trust Him and rely on Him in all situations. We cannot escape death when it comes to us, nor can we delay it or hasten it. We should accept it as a reality and prepare for it by doing good deeds and seeking Allah’s forgiveness. We should also seek His protection from the trials and tribulations of this world and the Hereafter. Allah is the best of planners and He knows what is best for us.